Compiled by Nadia Goatherd
Facilitators: Phil McGavin and Mandy Joy
Direct Action & Mobilization
- Had a meeting on January 31st where there was some contention in regards to the current campaigns (housing, police violence and transit)
- Consider integrating a 15 minute discussion into the General Assembly or hosting it immediately after
- Plan to attend Winterlude on February 12th at 3 pm: handing out of free tea, hot chocolate, coffee; pamphlets about Occupy Ottawa as well as social and political issues; collecting of donations; bringing tents on the site or taking over those already in place (see proposals)
- Did not meet this week, will meet this Sunday
- Check-ins to be given at Sunday's G.A
- Respectful discussion guidelines almost completed, a translated is required though
Direct Action & Mobilization
- If interested in participating, contact Kevin D (Nivek Dona-he)
- Having around two tents installed with a big banner , possibly taking the tents recovered from the eviction
- Taking up space is key
- Distribution of free tea, coffee and hot chocolate
- Marco Lobo and John Orbit and Purple may be able to provide coffee and a percolator
- Other possible location: along the Rideau Canal
- Possibility of occupying multiple locations
- Planning meeting Sunday Feb 5th at 3 pm, location to be determined
Finance Committee (sub-committee of Donations) came up with a list of Operating Resolutions:
- Finance Committee, as a subcommittee of Donations, is responsible for the acquisition, administration and distribution of funds.
- In order to administer funds, finance committee will elect an initial two, and eventually four signatories for a credit union account. These signatories and the rest of finance committee will:
- Deposit currency donations into the account.
- Record income and expenditures in an accounting ledger, digitize the contents of this ledger, and make both the ledger and an account summary available on the website on a monthly basis.
- Authorize, with two signatures and a third from the recipient, the release of funds as approved by the General Assembly. A receipt will be issued to the recipient of the released funds, and a copy of the receipt will be retained by Finance Committee for the purpose of record keeping.
- The Finance Committee will further undertake to raise funds both independently and in partnership with relevant committees such as Donations, Outreach and Labour & Community Outreach. These funds will be deposited into the Occupy Ottawa credit union account and stay there pending their release for funding expenditures authorized by the General Assembly. Fundraising activities include but are not limited to: mail campaigns, telephone fundraising, street solicitation, online fundraising, events for the purposes of fundraising and donations boxes.
- For purposes of accountability, funds raised as a one-off to fund specific events or activities will be tallied, deposited and subsequently returned to the organizers of the event or activity. This will ensure that the Finance Committee is able to keep a complete record of Occupy Ottawa's income and expenditures.
- The Finance Committee will meet weekly to discuss fundraising, review the accounts ledger and track income and expenditures. These meetings will be held following Donations Committee meetings.
- Although membership to Finance Committee will be open, access to the account will be limited to the (eventually) four signatories to be elected or recalled at the confidence of the Finance Committee. The elections will be open and require the consensus of the committee, as will the recalls in the event they become necessary. The nominations made by the committee will then be brought to the General Assembly for a vote of confidence on the selections made by the Finance Committee.
CLAUSES TWO AND SIX APPROVED
HEATHER BOSTELAAR AND SHANE DAVIS-YOUNG NOMINATED AND ELECTED AS SIGNATORIES
Resist Against Mountain Top Removal in West Virginia having a meeting the third week of March
For information: http://mountainjustice.org/
There is a play Sat Feb 4th at 7pm near Queen st. Cost 15$, subject: clowns and whatnot
Vagina Monologues Feb 24th and 25th, Heather has tickets available and they wish to obtain food prepared by men
Families of Sisters in Spirit hosting a gathering for disappeared indigenous women Feb 14th
A statement will be written