By Andy Wilson and Coimín Ní Táilliúir
Head count: 16 people.
Nadia and Amin facilitating.
Hot chocolate giving away at Winterlude went well. Will do it again on Saturday March 3rd.
On March 2nd Netanyahu is coming to Ottawa. Hoping to be part of an action, trying to find out if there's something else already happening.
DA is meeting after this GA to engage in 2nd consultation regarding campaigns.
Finance now has a credit union account at the Ottawa Women's Credit Union. Anyone can donate. There is a need for one more signatory for the account.
Centretown GA is going to happen soon.
There will be a planning meeting on Thursday, March 1st, at Carleton University, at 6pm. [location missing].
Many members are getting behind the idea of the General Strike on May 1st.
Meeting after this GA to discuss economic structures.
Guidelines will be released to the public, hopefully next week.
- Proposal to ask media to create a space on the website to engage in cross-promotion with allied businesses, artists, musicians, etc. The idea is to post links promoting Occupy Ottawa, and for Occupy Ottawa to post link promoting the organizations that have supported Occupy Ottawa.
- Friendly amendment: come up with the list for the next GA.
- Revised proposal: bring forward list of businesses artists, etc., to the GA proposed to put on the occupy-ottawa.org website to promote our supporters and to ask them to support us as well.
- Proposes some dates for re-occupation: April 28th, May 5th, May 12th, May 19th, May 26th . All are Saturdays.
- Agenda proposal: get through the rest of the business, then deal with Re-Occ concerns around dates. PASSED.
- On the 27th there is an action at 1 Stewart, room 205 [Ottawa U campus?].
- On March 23rd, screening Occupy Talks, event on FB, 7pm. "What does it mean to Occupy already Occupied lands?" - youtube from event that happened in Toronto with Lianne Simpson, etc. Tom Goldtooth. Talking about Occupy movement their perspectives on it as indigenous people and activists.
- Thurs 23rd there is a rally at 5pm at human rights memorial called "Peace and Prosperity vs War and Austerity." There will be a walk to the Chateau Laurier where Harper and others are meeting. People should come if they want. Main sponsor is the Ottawa Peace Coalition.
- On March 24th and Irish band, Rubberbandits, are playing in Toronto. People could get Occupy business done too in Toronto.
- "Open mic at jail hostel". Wednesdays at 9pm.
- Ottawa Citizen did an article on Occupy Ottawa.
- Yesterday cutting started in Wakefield for extension of Hwy 5. Residents are staging a tree-sit, and would appreciate any support for the tree-sit. Looking for help driving people, could use food and water.
- Event on Saturday 2pm at Wakefield as well. Albert Dumont will hold a ceremony defending the trees and the land.
- Individual proposals:
Read on FB that the nazi party of america has endorsed OWS. We should put out a statement saying "no, we don't want your support". Will be voted on at the next GA.
Discussion on Re-Occ dates
- Saturdays in May, and April 28th are being considered.
- Some reasons for the 5th (trial on the 3rd for people at the fountain, fail=protest, win=we're allowed to occupy; call for occupy parliament on the 5th, there might be people coming; also a call to action for tar sands day of action).
- Day of the trial would be a striking statement, but it's also a weekday.
- Also a reason for the 12th (other occupations are planning to re-occupy [may]).
- May 26th is may 2-4 weekend. Might not be ideal for re-occ.
Grid for discussion... or date by date. Date by date gets consensus.
Pros: camp ready for action on May 1st and 3rd and the 5th. Having a location will bring more people in. If May Day brings people into downtown, good for exposure, donations, visibility, etc. If there's a re-occupation, it could benefit the court case.
Cons: if there's a camp, some people need to stay at the camp and can't be involved in actions. Maybe re-occupying would negatively impact the court case. Too early might be shut down really soon. It might be cold.
There should be a plan B in the event of a quick eviction. There should be an idea of what to do next. Contingency plans are being discussed.
Would be interesting to see the reaction on May 1st and May 5th regarding shutting down the camp, if re-occupation occurs on April 28th.
If it gets evicted after the 28th, could re-occupy immediately after.
Re-occupation doesn't necessarily mean the same type of camp as last time. It can be anything. Something really small scale can be set up. A mock camp is a possibility to test the reactions.
Re-occ is not ready to propose something like that.
Pros: Occupy parliament may be going on. If we re-occupy after the trial it can be an action either way (win or lose). Occupy Canada has asked us to support their bid to occupy parliament hill – if we have something else planned, it becomes a moot point. There are serious concerns about Occupy Canada's action from Inter-Occupy.
Cons: Having the actions on the same day could, if there's no coordination, distract from the tar sands action, and might create a conflict.
Pros: Other Canadian occupations (east coast) are thinking of re-occupying on the 12th. Victoria maybe thinking about May 6th. More media coverage if it's all together. Demonstrating solidarity would be good. Request to figure out who's re-occupying when. No other actions planned for the 12th, like there is for the 5th. Weather might be getting better. If we get kicked out on the 28th, we can reoccupy on later dates (like the 12th).
Should consider people who are here, not just those who aren't here.
Concern expressed about students' ability to participate: Saturday good, gets students out.
Question about polling – doodle poll? Language is important.. best for them, or think it's best. Idea to poll for certain committees.
Other dates are the 19th and 26th (may 2-4). warmer and warmer
Consensus reached to end the GA. Re-occupation dates will be discussed at future committee meetings and GAs.