Without some semblance of adequate communication, this movement is going to evaporate.
I'm tuned in and check the web site every day, and want to know about what is going on. And yet even so the following stuff came completely out of the blue for me, which means it is unknown to probably most people that could be contributing:
-The syrian freedom march. Not on the events page, facebook group or anything.
- Until today I didn't even know there was a facebook group. When I tried to view it it said access denied - you need to have a facebook account.
- I missed the facilitation working group meeting because I could not find the time and date soon enough. I was going to go and take minutes.
- I didn't even know there was a facebook page.
-The facebook group is not even mentioned on the facebook page. Someone who isn't familiar with facebook would not have found it.
- Some of the working groups simply were not represented at the meeting, which obviously impeded things a lot. If they could at least call in that would be better.
If there is one thing we need way more of here, it is effective communication. From the GA, where a loudspeaker is needed to make things faster instead of this painfully slow people's mic stuff, to the obvious problems with contacting the working groups (it was mentioned at the GA last night that nobody ever checks the email addresses associated with the working groups. If not for one guy there who is in the old boy's club, there would have been a problem).
Another communication failure was obvious when during the discussions people were talking about all kinds of different things, when we were supposed to be charged with talking about whether or not to keep occupying and how to do it if so. Then we get back to the GA and the facilitator re-writes history and says this GA was about "what's next"?
If the 1% are trying to disrupt things, they are doing a good job.
-Rig a phone to the loudspeaker to accept call-ins as input and Livestream the GA as output.
- Actually take minutes.
-Make facebook pages and groups for each working group. Add contact info to the pages.
-Add a "GA and working groups" section to the main occupyottawa website which is for meeting minutes and links to the working group facebook pages and groups.
- Make it clear on the web site section which group or individual is responsible for what so if someone needs to add something to the calendar, they know who to contact.
Who do I contact to start ushering these changes through? Lenlafalge@gmail.com